Industrial experience. In addition to research, I have eight years of software development experience in the banking industry, where, at first, I was an application developer (1998 – 2004), then a software project manager (2004 – 2006).
Independent expert evaluator. Since 2015, I have been working as an independent expert evaluator and rapporteur for several EU H2020 research programmes, e.g. MSCA, ICT, assisting the European Commission in the assessment of research projects for funding applications.
Teaching experience. I have a short teaching experience as an external lecturer at the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule Salzburg), teaching the following courses:
- “Artificial Intelligence and Algorithmic Game Theory” (October/ November 2011), and
- “Game Theory for the Smart Grid” (in July 2013).
Participation & (co-)organisation of professional events
- Webinar “Future Manufacturing Pathways in Europe” co-organisation, 15th May 2019. For more details: https://violetabehrendt.com/2019/05/20/58-minutes-of-the-future-manufacturing-pathways-in-europe/
- Vienna CyberSecurity Week 2019, 14 March 2019, at the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (WKO), Vienna, Austria. Talk: “Digital Twins for Automotive Cybersecurity Engineering and Validation” at the session “Cyber Security in Industry”. Session description: “Technologies, products and organisations are currently under constant threat of cyber attacks on different levels. Not only does an attack on a digital manufacturing site have consequences for the on-going production, like a stand-still causing delay, but it can also have severe business impact caused by loss of trust by partners, customers, etc. This session covers three talks on different perspectives on the possibilities and implications to secure industrial manufacturing and a final panel discussion.” Online: https://www.energypact.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/VCSW-Conference-Programme_12.pdf
- Networking session organisation at the ICT 2018: Imagine Digital, 5 December 2018, at the Austrian Center Vienna. Session “Federated Smart Factory Ecosystem”. Session description: “The objective of this networking session is to promote the idea of establishing a federated smart factory ecosystem in Europe. The session will stimulate a forward-looking collaboration between the manufacturing sector in Europe and the founders of digital manufacturing platforms, to deliver disruptive innovations to industry, offering highly flexible and agile business models. The federation model is well suited to support the coexistence of independent technology platforms with a shared vision of establishing an agile ecosystem. The session will introduce the conceptual federation of 4 platforms currently being developed in the EC funded NIMBLE, COMPOSITION, DIGICOR and vf-OS Factories of the Future (FoF) projects and the ConnectedFactory CSA project. It will highlight how the overlapping and complementary aspects of the 4 platforms can be interlinked through an open and interoperable federation layer. The brief introduction will open the floor for discussions on the overarching factors that hinder the innovative synergy of existing platforms, such as management of IPR, suitable business models, data management, security and privacy, knowledge exchange and reuse, standards, regulatory implications and policy development. The open discussion will help in addressing the pain-points of establishing an open smart factory ecosystem and the suitability of federation model to achieve this vision.” Online: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/events/cf/ict2018/item-display.cfm?id=21708 Video presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6UOt3A5_7U&feature=youtu.be.
- Community session 3-in-1 at the ICT 2018: Imagine Digital, 5 December 2018, Austrian Center Vienna. Talk “Digital Twin for Safety and Security in the Automative Industry” as part of the IoT4CPS community session. Online:https://iot4cps.at/2018/12/10/iot4cps-ict-2018-imagine-digital/
- Co-chair at the Workshop on “Connected Smart Factories: Showcasing Recent Developments in the Smart Manufacturing Arena”, held at the 9th International Conference on Intelligent Systems 2018 (IS 2018): Theory, Research, and Innovation in Applications, Funchal, Madeira, 25-27 September 2018. The two day workshop was organised by the four European projects funded in the Call H2020-FoF-2016, topic FoF-11-2016: Digital Automation, covering different aspects of smart manufacturing: NIMBLE: https://www.nimble-project.org/; COMPOSITION: https://www.composition-project.eu/; DIGICOR: https://www.digicor-project.eu/ and vf-OS: http://www.vf-os.eu/. For more details: Workshop on Connected Smart Factories